How to update iPhone
As with OS PCs (for example, Windows and macOS), the operating system of the iPhone, iOS, is often updated with the introduction of new features and bug fixes. Currently there are two different ways to update the "iPhone by": one is done directly from the phone through Internet and does not require the use of a PC: it is called OTA update (short for Over The Air). The other, however, is the classic through iTunes, which involves connecting the phone to the PC.
With today's guide, that's why I want to illustrate you how to update iPhone to the latest version of iOS using both available update modes. The procedure does not require any advanced knowledge and keeps the data and applications saved on the phone intact. You will be surprised how simple it is!
However, first of all, it will be my concern to show you the implementation of some preliminary operations thanks to which to avoid the appearance of complications that, although rarely, can occur when update iOS. So are you ready to get started? Yep? Excellent. Let's ban talk and act!
- Preliminary operations
- How to update iPhone through OTA
- How to update iPhone in iTunes
- In case of doubts or problems
Table of Contents
As I told you at the beginning of the article, before explaining how to update iPhone, there are some preliminary operations which I highly recommend that you carry out in order to deal with any problems arising, in case everything does not go as expected.
To be precise, I mean the execution of a financial of the data on the «iPhone by», the save photos and videos in the device in the memory of the PC and the iTunes update to the latest version available. To know how to proceed in all cases, follow the instructions on what to do that I have provided below.
- Backup on your pc - take your iPhone, connect it to the PC using the Lightning cable attached to your sales package and wait for it to open iTunes (At Mac OS is pre-installed, while Windows you have to download and install it, as I explained in my tutorial on the subject) or open it "manually", if it does not start automatically. At this point, if it is the first time you have connected the iPhone to the PC, authorize the operation by clicking the button Following on Windows and macOS and that authorize in the mobile phone, provided that, in this second case, you also write the unlock code Of the device. Then click iPhone icon in the upper left of the iTunes window and press the button Copy now. If you want to include health and home automation data in the backup, also select the option Local backup encryption and choose a password to keep the information. For more details, you can refer to my tutorial specifically dedicated to how to backup iPhone.
- ICloud backup - take your iPhone, unlock it, go to the home screen and tap the icon configurations (the one with the symbol of 'gear ). On the new screen that displays, tap Your Name (above) and in the voice iCloud, then select the option ICloud Backup and verify that the corresponding switch is on EN (otherwise activate it yourself), to enable automatic backups. To backup on the fly, press the voice Copy now placed a little lower. However, if you are using an older version of iOS, you should go to Settings > iCloud > Backup. For more information on what to do, always refer to my guide on how to backup iPhone that I pointed out in the previous point.
- Save photos and videos - connect the iPhone to your PC using your Lightning cable, open the application Photo on macOS (comes pre-installed) or File Browser in Windows and access the photos on the "iPhone" by selecting the latter from the list of connected devices. Therefore, proceed to import the images in the location of your choice on the PC. For more details on this, I invite you to read my tutorials specifically focused on how to transfer photos from iPhone to Mac and how to transfer photos from iPhone to PC.
- Update iTunes - and Mac OS, you can update iTunes by accessing the section Software update de System preferences. If there is any indication that an update for iTunes is available, download and install it by clicking the corresponding button. In Windows instead, start the software Apple software update and check for updates through it. If available, click the button to continue with the download and installation. For more details, I recommend that you check out my tutorial on how to update iTunes.
How to update iPhone through OTA
Let us now go to the heart of the matter and find out, in detail, what operations must be carried out in order to update iPhone acting directly from the device, that is, through OTA. It should be noted that the OTA update system is more convenient than the "classic" one via iTunes, not only because it does not require the use of a PC, but also because it allows you to download less data, since only the necessary update is downloaded. to the device in use and not to the entire new version of iOS, as happens in updates through iTunes.
To update your iPhone through OTA, the first thing you should do is take your "iPhone by", unlock it, access the home screen and press the icon. configurations (the one with the gear ). Then touch the item General and press the wording Software update.
If there is no update available, you will see the message your software is up to date. If, on the contrary, a new version of iOS is available for your iPhone, you will see a message appear that will notify you of the thing and all the news of the update will be shown to you.
Once the download is complete (the duration of the procedure depends on the speed of your Internet connection as well as the weight of the update), press the button Install Now to confirm your wish to install the update. After that, the iPhone will shut down and the new version you just downloaded will overwrite the currently used iOS version. Once the process is complete, you will have your iPhone up to date with all the data, settings, and apps in place.
If you prefer, you can postpone the installation of the update by pressing the button Then. Depending on your preferences and needs, choose the option Install tonight (to automatically install the update overnight) or that Remember me later (to receive a reminder about the update in the next few hours). If you decide to install the update overnight, remember to also charge your iPhone before going to sleep.
When updating your iPhone directly from iOS, make sure that the battery device is charged to at least 50%. If not, you will need to charge your iPhone and continue with the update while keeping the device connected to the power outlet. The update will be installed when the battery of the "iPhone by" has reached half charge.
Another thing to keep in mind is that there must be enough to download the update on the iPhone. free space (The weight of the update is displayed on the update download screen). If you are notified that there is no space on the "iPhone for" to download the update, read my guide on how to free up space on the iPhone to immediately find out how to resolve it.
If you are interested in this, I would also like to point out that as of iOS 12 Introduced the ability to download updates automatically, overnight, when the iPhone is charging and connected to Wi-Fi. If you want to enable this function, please indicate in the section General> Software update> Automatic updates of the configurations iOS and move on EN your switch.
How to update iPhone in iTunes
If you want to update the iPhone through iTunes First of all, know that the process involves downloading the full version of iOS on the computer and not only the components of the update, which lengthens, and also a lot, the download times.
Therefore, to continue, the first thing to do is connect your Apple brand mobile phone to the PC using the supplied cable and wait for the multimedia software of the Cupertino company to start. If iTunes doesn't start on its own, you can. Also, if it is the first time you connect the iPhone to the PC, authorize the operation by clicking the button Following on PC and Mac. On iPhone, however, press the button authorize and also write the unlock code device.
In the iTunes window, which at this point you should see on the screen, click the iPhone icon located in the upper left and press the button Search for updates on the right. If there is no update available for your Apple mobile phone, you will see a message that the version of iOS currently in use is the most up-to-date. If, on the contrary, an update is available, you will be informed and you can install it by selecting the option Download and update in the additional window that you will see open on the desktop.
You can also decide to install the update later by clicking the button Download only. Once the download is complete (the duration depends on the speed of your Internet connection as well as the weight of the update), you can choose when to start the installation.
Once the iOS installation procedure has started on your iPhone, the device will automatically reboot and you will have to wait for the operation to complete. After that, you will see a specific warning on the screen. Later, you will have to unlock the "iPhone by typing the relative". code.
In case of major updates, you will have to follow the proposed initial setup wizard. Meanwhile, do not disconnect the iPhone from the PC until the whole process is completed, please! Eventually, you will have your iPhone updated with all the data, settings, and applications in place.
In case of doubts or problems
Did you slavishly follow my instructions on how to update iPhone but in the course of work something went wrong or some steps are still unclear to you? Under the circumstances, the best suggestion I can give you is to take a look at the section of the Apple website dedicated to iPhone support, so that you can get help specifically.
If doing so is not resolved, you can try to contact the Apple customer service for personalized assistance. You can do this in a number of ways: over the phone, over the web, or in person.
For more information on this, read my guide specifically focused on how to contact Apple through which I proceeded to talk about the matter in an extremely detailed way.